News and Events
- 31st March 2014 (subject to confirmation): Deadline for submission of papers for Volume 29 of Ocean Yearbook. For details of the Call for Papers and the Authors' Guidelines, and for online Tables of Contents for earlier volumes,
check the Ocean Yearbook website.
- 1st January 2014: Application deadline for IOI-Canada's annual training programme on Ocean Governance: Policy, Law and Management
(21st May - 18th July 2014 -- subject to final confirmation). For details and an application form, consult the Training
section of this website nearer the time.
- 3rd - 8th September 2013: Pacem in Maribus XXXIV conference - Sustainable Governance of the Ocean, Bangkok, Thailand. This forum includes
an initiative for youth (16-25) -- see
The Ocean We Want (facebook) for details of how to voice your opinions and get involved. More information is also available by e-mailing IOI Headquarters.
- June 2013: Halifax's 4th annual Oceans Film Festival. Free film screenings and
discussions to be held on 12th, 19th and 26th June. Check the
Film Festival page for full details.
- 10th June 2013: Ninth annual Elisabeth Mann Borgese Ocean Lecture on Communicating the Oceans, an illustrated
presentation with guest speaker, Nikolaus Gelpke, Vice-President of IOI and Managing Director of maribusgGmbH.
Room 105, Schulich School of Law, 6061 University Avenue. 7.00 p.m. start, with
reception to follow.
- 22nd May - 19th July 2013: IOI-Canada's 33rd annual training programme on Ocean Governance: Policy, Law and Management at Dalhousie University, Halifax,
Nova Scotia. Check the Training section of this website for further information.
- 15th May 2013: Deadline for submission of student papers for the Ocean Yearbook 2012 Student Prize. Further information is available on the
Ocean Yearbook website.
- 6th March - 2nd June 2013: Elisabeth
Mann Borgese exhibition at the Literaturhaus Munchen in Germany.
- 21st February 2013: Launch of the World Ocean Review (WOR) 2: The Future of Fish - the Fisheries of the Future,
initiated by Nikolaus Gelpke, Vice-President of IOI and Managing Director of maribus gGmbH. To download a free copy of this illustrated report, go to the
- 17th June - 28th October 2012: Exhibition on
Elisabeth Mann Borgese and the Drama of the Oceans at Buddenbrookhaus, Lubeck, Germany in conjunction with a major new publication on her life and work.
- 8th June 2012: Eighth annual Elisabeth Mann Borgese Ocean Lecture - Blue Planet Under Threat:
Challenges and Opportunities at Rio+20 with panel members Dr Awni Behnam (President, IOI), Dr Susanna Fuller
(Marine Conservation Co-ordinator, Ecology Action Centre), Ms Megan Leslie (MP
for Halifax, Deputy Leader and Environment Critic, NDP)
and Hon. David MacDonald (Commons Group), chaired by Dr Larry Hildebrand (Senior Research Fellow, IOI-Canada).
- 8th February 2012:Celebrations of IOI's 40th Anniversary, and Commemoration of
10th Anniversary of Elisabeth Mann Borgese's death. See
IOInforma for a
summary of events at headquarters and
a commemorative article by EMB researcher and former IOI lecturer, Betsy Baker.
- January 2012: Museum researchers from Germany visit IOI-Canada and the Dalhousie Archives in
EMB exhibition and publication in Lubeck. For information, see article on
Elisabeth Mann Borgese Collection Gains International Recognition.
- 15th February 2011: IOI-Canada moves. Due to preparations for a new
university residence, the IOI offices have now moved within the Dalhousie campus
to 6414 Coburg Road. For full postal address and online map,
see the Contacts page of this website.
2nd - 4th September 2010: Pacem in Maribus XXXIII Conference on Oceans, Climate Change and Sustainable Development:
Challenges to Oceans and Coastal Cities, Beijing, China. Check the
the IOI Headquarters website for further information.
- 17th - 21st May 2010: IOI Training Module on Law of the Sea and Principled Ocean Governance
held in Barbados at Cave Hill, University of West Indies. This was conducted by the Caribbean Law Institute Centre in association with CERMES, IOI-Canada, and Dalhousie University's
Marine Affairs Programme and Marine & Environmental Law Institute. Further information is available on the CLIC website.
- April 2010: Launch of The World Ocean Review 2010, initiated by Nikolaus Gelpke,
Vice President of IOI. To download a free copy of this illustrated, 240-page report, go to the
- March 2009: Publication of Kathy Mac's The Hundefraulein Papers, a collection of poems based on the author's experience as Elisabeth Mann Borgese's dog-sitter. Details are available on the publisher's website.